Monday, November 14, 2016

Lessons Learned

Before I even start, I wan't to get some things straight.
1) I don't like agile. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_software_development
it's the one of the reason, why nowadays software comes out full with bugs, and a lot of time even don't come out at all, but got postponed.
2) It's been almost seven years since I can call myself, a professional programmer. Before that, as amateur, I can go back to my tenth birthday, when I got my first computer with Norton Commander on it.
3) I'm total nerd and geek, by owning more than two video game consoles and two high end gaming PC's

Now, when we get out of the way things that you need to know about me, I will start. As I already mentioned, I have been working as a professional programmer (or software engineer, what ever suites you best) for last seven years (after I partly finished university (partly - that's another story)). And the biggest problem is that none, I repeat, none of the projects I have been working on, have not been postponed before their initial go-live date. NONE.
So, I just thought, maybe, I need to gather all this bad things I have encountered in those past seven years, and share my frustration with other people (if others do care as much as I do about this).
In this blog you will see a lot of me trashing on Agile Software Development and IT Managers. It's not that all of my managers where bad, not at all, some of theme where great persons and interesting friends, with whom I have built great relationships, but they are not good IT, I will repeat, IT, managers.
I'm engineer, and as engineer, I'm really picky and punctual, and when manager says to me, that project don't care how we name classes or tables, because, project doesn't have any naming convention, that drives me nuts. And when project implements new change control workflow, and also DRAWS a big MS Visio document based on that, but after two days, none of the people in project follows this, as it includes getting a lot of approvals, to implement your change and put it in the production. Manager just says, 'document is just guidelines, we don't have to follow it specifically'. Grrrr......
I will try to do post a week, and will not try do them really big, like, no more than 15 minutes of writing, and for you no more than 3 minutes of reading. Hope it will be interesting for me, and for whoever will be reading this, if anyone :) !

No comments:

Post a Comment